Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Monsters Under the Bed

When my brother, Andrew, was about 5 or 6, he was afraid to go to bed one night. He was afraid of being alone. When my dad asked him why, he said it was because of the monsters under his bed. To which my dad replied, "Andrew, there are no monsters under your bed." This greatly confused my brother. He said something that I thought about today. He said, "Well. Adults need to tell kids this then because if no one tells us, how are we supposed to know? Kids are scared of monsters under their beds and they wouldn't be if adults told them."
So true. How are we supposed to know if people don't tell us? I always expect to know the RIGHT answers...which I don't (don't tell anyone). How am I supposed to know if someone doesn't tell me? It's so funny. What level of it though is arrogance and what level is finding out for yourself? If Andrew had crawled under his bed and looked, he would've known there wasn't a monster under his bed. No Mike Wasowski to scare him and bring up his quota of screams. Just sayin'. If people don't tell you, and you don't try to find the answer, how are you supposed to know?

4 comments:

  1. This is so true.

    And what you don't know as a kid is, even once you are an adult you will continue to find things that make you think, "Why didn't anyone TELL ME?" But for some reason, you feel you should have known. Just because of your "adults status."

    It's a good point though, that you can look. I think sometimes we don't think to. And other times, like Andrew, we are just too scared.


    Great entry Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's better to look and find out for yourself than to rely on someone to tell us. Especially as we get older and discover that the people who are so willing to tell us the way things are, aren't reliable or don't know what they're talking about. As wise as your dad is, I'll bet he'd rather you exercise your kid curiosity and see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whomever Anonymous is, you must not know my dad. ;) However, you are very right. Curiosity is always good. Especially when it leads to a search.

    ReplyDelete