Tuesday, July 20, 2010

If you fry it, they will come.

I realize it's been awhile since I've written. I've been thinking about it, but I've just not been inspired. I've also got a few books I want to write, but I've not had the time.

I sat down determined to write something tonight. I've started about 4 different entries and nothing seemed right. I started one about how I left my iPhone at work tonight and I feel lost without it. Bor-ring! I started one about this last weekend. Da-umb! Then it hit me! FRIED BUTTER! Yes. You read that right. Fried Butter.

My husband and I went to the Three River's Festival a few weeks ago. As we walked down the aptly named, "Junk Food Alley", we saw the traditional cotton candy, fried cheese, and other junk food glory all laden with gluten, sugar, and fat. As we rounded the corner, I saw one of the newest additions, Fried Candy Bars. These have been around for years now, but this booth had a little something extra. A few somethings actually. One was a Doughnut Burger. It consisted of 2 doughnuts with a burger in the middle. For only $0.50 you could add lettuce and tomato, and although I'm all for trying to make it healthy, that just sounded even worse than a burger on a doughnut. The final nail in someone's clogged artery coffin however was the fried butter.

Matt and I walked up closer assuming it was a typo or we were reading it wrong but no. Deep fried sweet cream butter. I overheard a rather rotund dude say to his buddies, "I tried that butter, man. It was amazing! You have to try it!" That was just before he was hauled off to the closest hospital. (Not really but I expected it.) How could that be good?! Admittedly, it's been ages since I've had real butter. The thing is, I never just ate it. It was always on bread or something. I rarely ever said, "Hmmm...I think I want butter." and then went to the refrigerator and took out a stick. 

I ventured up to take a closer look. Sitting in a grease laden paper boat were about 6 or 8 small dough-balls lightly fried and dusted with powdered sugar. They looked pretty innocent but I could not get over the fried butter. That's all it was. Butter. That's like eating a stick of butter let alone the butter that is in the batter. It was a moment that for once, I realized: people will eat anything if it is fried.  I'm a little afraid to see what's next. The mind reels with possibilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment