Monday, July 5, 2010

Cooking became fun when I tried it.

Gluten Free Girl is at it again. A challenge. "When did cooking become fun?" Well, I'm not a huge cook lately, nor am I a professional trying to make my own recipes. But I think cooking became fun when I tried it. It was fun to create a recipe and have it turn out to the ooh's and ahh's of the table. So what if the Russian Borscht didn't turn out good. Is Borscht ever good?  When I tried to make a traditional English Roast Dinner though, that really knocked it out of the ball park. Bisto gravy included.

I went through a phase in my pre-teens where I wanted to go to Russia. I wanted to experience another culture. My parents took me to the library and I looked in the kids section for any cookbook that looked good. Yes. I was judging a book by it's cover. I chose Russian and my daring parents and 3 year-old brother allowed me to make it. They still tease me to this day. I can't remember what it ended up like and I remember most good meals. It was fun though. I was experiencing another culture from my little home in Grabill, Indiana.

When I returned from a year in Cardiff, Wales I missed the food. I bought a British cookbook and made the roast dinner. I've made many things from that cookbook. All great. Indian food. Great. It's the other cultures you can taste. That's what makes cooking fun. Experiencing other cultures or even celebrating our own with a homemade Thanksgiving meal. That meal, I'm happy to say, faired out far better than the Russian one.

No comments:

Post a Comment