Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rain and Books. Books and Rain.

Today we are getting some MUCH needed rain. One of my all time favorite things to do is to read on the couch while it is pouring down rain outside. I mean rain with the thunder and the lightning where the rain creates it's own music on the roof. The couch is comfy, if it's a bit chilly then a nice warm blanket, and the best book for the moment. There really is nothing like it. I must have done that a lot as a kid because it is my "happy place" that I rarely get to visit these days. At least it's for a good reason.

At the moment I'm re-reading the "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" Series by Michael Scott. There are six books in the series and the last one came out in May. Once I read it, it made me want to go through and read them all again knowing what I know now. If I don't have a book though, my default is usually "The Hobbit." I don't honestly know if there is a better book. I could also be biased though. When I was a kid, my dad used to read to my brother and I every night. I remember reading "The Hobbit" in particular. I have it in every format I could ever need it in: hardcover, nook ebook, and audiobook. My husband even has the cartoon!

I guess all of this is just because I'm pouting. Yesterday and today were two perfect days for lazy couch reading and I have to work. However, if it were on the weekend, Matt and I would be taking care of Georgia. I really hope that she loves to read. She enjoys chewing on books right now so I suppose that's good enough for now.

I hear people say that they aren't really readers. I don't understand that world. I love it! I don't know what it is though, there is something about rain and books, that just makes the book better and the rain cozier. I even have a favorite song to listen to when it's raining and I'm reading: Eric Satie's "Gymnopédie." The piano sounds like rain would sound if it was on a piano. It just makes me comforted and happy...also a little drowsy.



Bonus Hobbit clip. It's even done by Rankin & Bass that created the famous Rudolf video. The music is classic (and a bit bad). I've given my husband fair warning that if we are to ever build our own home, my dream home is the Hobbit home, "Bag End," with the round door and everything. I may be taking my love of "The Hobbit" a bit to far but I don't think so.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, nothing quite like reading in the rain.

    The Hobbit cartoon is still pretty fun, but if you venture into the animated Return of the King feature, you're probably in for some suffering. It is kind of hilarious to really belt out those bad songs though.

    ReplyDelete