Sunday, May 2, 2010

You can do it if you set your mind to it!

  “You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.
  ― Rosalynn Carter  

I have this undeniable expectation that if I set my mind to do something, not only will I do it, but it will be perfect coming out of the gate. I remember the first time I realized this wasn't the case. I hadn't been out of college long and was house sitting for my parents. I think it was their anniversary or someone's birthday because I decided I would make a cake as a welcome home gesture. I was going to be all "Martha Stuart" and glaze this angel food cake. They would be amazed at my mad skills and it would be a success. It was not. The angel food cake turned out fine but it was from a mix so there wasn't any real danger involved there. The trick was a glaze that was sure to delight and amaze. The amazing part was how it didn't glaze at all it just got absorbed into the cake. Totally ridiculous.

So today, I sat down at the table to draw. Now, keep in mind that my husband is the illustrator, not me. In fact, when I went to college, I was going to stay as far away from art as possible because my mom was the artist. Not me! When I did end up in art classes the beginning of my junior year, I was seriously lacking in the drawing department. So I sat down with a fresh sketchbook all set to draw. I start and stop. Not going so good. Everything I drew was wonky and not perfect. 

Another example from today. Our house is great but the bushes out front are a mess. I decided to get out some pent up frustration out while pulling weeds and trimming bushes. After really going to town for what seemed like ages, I stepped back and laughed. The bush was now a stump and there was all sorts of leafy carnage laying everywhere. Mrs Greenjeans I am clearly not. I called in the reinforcements and my mom is going to show me how the do the rest. Yet another area where I am actually not perfect.

Thinking you are perfect and can do anything is great until you are slapped in the face by an over grown twig or wonky illustration. Then, it's just annoying!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that perfection in everything is not a good goal. Excellence with your skill sets is! Confidence and determination will take you much farther than if you hang back. Being creative does not guarantee one can do it all or be able to draw. Your design and writing is lovely though.
    I always thought you had a way with words. Turns out I was right. :)
    XO M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I guess Mom's are always right. :)

    ReplyDelete