Thursday, May 20, 2010

The envy of mad skillz

I just returned from a business trip to NYC for the National Stationery Show. The show was a culmination of a year's worth of work crammed into about 2 months. It was nail-biting and exciting. It was frustrating. It was fun. And it left me with wanting to be more (much like my parents cat Max).

When I left the show I wasn't terribly motivated by the stationery and more motivated by the surface design. However, I just looked at one of my favorite design blogs and they had a recap of the NSS. Now, I just want to make people envious of my mad skillz. Why is that we are never happy with what we have? Maybe it's just me but I always want to be more. I want to draw better (which isn't hard to do!), design better, garden better (again, if I took the effort, I might be okay but who has time), cook better, and relax better. How's that for being a perfectionist!? Who fails at relaxing! Seriously!

My whole life has been like that. I was always aware of where I lacked the skills and never where I excelled. I wonder now if people ever envy my skills. Maybe someone saw my design and products at the NSS and felt the same way. How cool would that be?

One of my favorite design books is called, "Print & Pattern." There is also a blog of the same name. How cool would it to be in that book someday. I have so many ways I want to improve. I also have so many things blocking my way like time. Here's the thing though. If I truly wanted to be better, I'd find a way wouldn't I? Maybe that's why I'm working (after this blog anyway) tonight like I have for so many nights so I can get better. So people can envy my mad skillz. Oh to be the envy. I want to be in a blog other than my own. I want to write a book. I want to be featured. I want my 5 minutes of fame I guess. Excuse me Mr. Warhol but I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment